Wait, What; s the Difference Between a Double Bed and a Queen Bed
Wait, What's the Difference Between a Double Bed and a Queen Bed?
Lindsey Lanquist is a Nashville-based writer and editor covering home décor, health, fitness, food, and lifestyle. She earned her bachelor of arts in journalism from Elon University in 2016 and a master of science in publishing from New York University's School of Professional Studies in 2018, where she won the Award for Excellence in Magazine and Digital Publishing. In addition to serving as former senior editor at StyleCaster and staff writer at Self, her work has appeared in Cosmopolitan, Byrdie, Verywell, SheKnows, MyDomaine, Nylon, and more.
Beds come in different sizes. This isn’t news to anyone, even though few of us may know what the sizes actually mean. Twin beds are the skinny ones—we’ve got that. And king beds are the really wide ones. But double beds and queen beds? We know they’re bigger than twins and smaller than kings, but our knowledge stops there. If someone asked us to define the precise difference between them, we probably couldn’t.
When it comes down to it, though, there really is a difference between double beds and queen beds. In fact, there are a couple of differences. For starters, queen beds are 6 inches wider than double beds. While double beds are 54 inches wide, queen beds are 60 inches wide. Queen beds are also 5 inches longer than double beds. While double beds are 75 inches long, queen beds are 80 inches long. These may not seem like big numbers, but anyone who’s ever shared a bed knows what a difference 30 square inches of space can make.
Стандартные размеры кроватей
Размер кровати принято измерять в двух системах: европейской (метрической) и американской (английской). В первой вы найдете только понятные цифры ширины матраса, длина стандартная и составляет 200-210 см. А вот в американской у кроватей есть свои имена, а длина разнится. Эти отличия в системах измерения приводят к тому, что, заказывая кровать американского производства, нужно там же брать и матрас, и постельное белье, так как российские производители пользуются европейской системой.
What is the best duvet for a Scandinavian style two-duvet Bed?
In the USA? We recommend this best duvet insert
Brooklinen is our favorite. In the US, high quality twin duvets can be difficult to find. Brooklinen has some super warm, fluffy and lightweight comforters. In addition, all their products come with a lifetime warranty.
In Europe and the UK? We recommend
You can’t go wrong with a Ringsted duvet, widely considered one of the best brands in Scandinavia. It’s very easy to buy online at Ellos. We like a heavy duvet all year round
For those looking for seasonal options, try the light comforter in the summer, and a medium one in the winter.
European Duvet Sizes
In Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland, the duvets have the same standard measurements as the rest of Europe (except the UK, which is slightly shorter, but the same in IKEA).
If you and your partner vary significantly in weight or height, you should rotate your mattress more frequently. This will distribute the fillings more evenly, ensure an even degree of wear and help prevent the mattress dipping or sagging on one side.
You should rotate your mattress at least every three months. This distributes the fillings evenly, ensures each side of your mattress gets equal wear and prevents the mattress from dipping on one side.
You still need to rotate your mattress if you get the bed all to yourself!
Can you loft or bunk both types of mattresses?
Yes, twin and twin XL beds are excellent options for loft and bunk beds. If you’re trying to save space but need extra length, using a twin XL loft bed is ideal. These configurations work well in college dorm rooms, as well as anywhere else where there’s limited space. You can find many options available for bunks for a twin XL mattress, including twin over twin bunk beds, twin XL over twin XL bunk beds, twin over full bunk beds, and twin XL over full bunk beds.
Comfort in bed
Possibly the most important justification behind the significance of bed height is that it affects your comfort and wellbeing on a daily basis. How easy it is to get in and out of the bed is obviously dependent on its height. You don’t want to strain your legs having to lift yourself out of a really low bed. At the same time, you don’t want to have to hurdle your way into bed every night.
Sleep experts say the average person usually needs a bed at a height of 25 inches (including bed frame and mattress). However, this could differ with each individual, dependent on their height or age.
With two sizes of king beds and four names, it can get confusing when you go shopping for a king-size bed. A standard king is also called an Eastern king and a California king is also called a Western king. A standard king is about 4" wider and a California king is 4" longer.
Two people sleeping in a king-size bed will get the same amount of personal sleeping space as in a twin bed. In fact, if you pushed two extra-long twin beds together they'd be about the same size as an Eastern king. For great versatility in a guest room, if you have the floor space, use 2 extra long twin beds separately for singles or push them together to make a king bed for couples.
When buying sheets, you have to be careful to purchase the right size. Flat sheets will fit both sizes of king beds, but fitted sheets are cut to fit one or the other. Before you go shopping for sheets, be sure to measure your bed exactly to be sure to buy the linens that will fit exactly.
- Standard King or Eastern King beds are about 16″ wider than a queen bed and the same length. A king-size bed is sold with two box springs or frames and one mattress. This makes it easier to move.
Overall dimensions: 76″ wide x 80″ long
- Width per person: 38″
- Pros: As the widest bed commonly available in stores, the standard king is the most comfortable for two adults. The 80″ length is sufficient for most people. Sheets labeled «king-size» fit a standard king bed.
- Cons: Because of its size, a king bed may not be practical for a single person who has to do the moving by himself. They’re hard to get upstairs, through narrow, winding hallways, and small rooms. A king bed may not be long enough for very tall people. Bedding is most expensive in the king sizes. The wide bed requires at least 3 standard or 2 queen or king pillows, adding to the cost.
- California King or Western King beds are 12″ wider than a queen and 4″ longer. This is the longest bed commonly available in stores and is the best choice for tall people. Like the Eastern king, the California king bed set comes with one mattress and two half-width box springs to be more manageable when moving. Very tall single people can sleep from corner to corner and still be comfortable.
Overall dimensions: 72″ wide x 84″ long
- Width per person: 36″
- Pros: A California king-size mattress is wide enough for two to sleep comfortably and is the longest bed commonly available. Its extra length is good for tall people.
- Cons: This very large mattress may be cumbersome to move and may not fit up stairs, through narrow hallways, or in small bedrooms. Like the Eastern king, the California king bed set comes with one mattress and two half-width box springs to be more manageable when moving. Very tall single people can sleep from corner to corner and still be comfortable.
Note: Some bed manufacturers differ slightly in their definition of "standard" sizing. Before you go shopping for bedding, be sure to get the exact measurements of your bed so you are able to purchase the correct size sheets.